The online Delaware Defensive Driving Course and Delaware Defensive Driving 3-Hour Refresher Course were designed to educate Delaware motorists in safe driving techniques by providing sound, accurate information and statistical data that highlights the importance of defensive driving.
Here is a sample of what you will find in the Course Contents:
- Intro to Course - Navigation, Course Duration and Objectives
- Traffic Safety Problems - Societal and Personal Impact, Statistical Data, Road Rage, Speeding
- Human Factors - Stress, Fatigue, Distracted Driving, Traffic Laws
- Effects of Drugs and Alcohol - Reaction Time, Depressants, Narcotics, Zero Tolerance, DUI Penalties
- Man, Machine & Environment - Crash Dynamics, Effects of Speed, What Happens in a Crash
- Safety Equipment - Safety Belts, Child Restraints, Airbags, Anti-Lock Brakes
- Crash Prevention - Scanning Techniques, IPDE, Following and Stopping Distance, Hazards, Sharing the Road, Emergencies, City and Rural Driving, Intersections, Changing Lanes, Passing
- Delaware Traffic Laws - Point System, Speed Violations, License Suspensions, Aggressive Driving, Traffic Signals, Signs and Street Markings, Required Safety Equipment
According to the state of Delaware, upon successful course completion you will be eligible for:
- 10% Discount - A reduction of 10% for each automobile, motor home, or motorcycle insured under a policy if all operators named on the policy as insureds complete the Online Delaware Defensive Driving Course. If fewer than all the operators covered as principal or occasional drivers complete the course, then the discount shall be a fraction of 10%. The fraction shall be the number of operators completing the course, divided by the total number of operators.
- 15% Discount - A reduction of 15% for each automobile, motor home, or motorcycle insured under a policy if all operators named on the policy as insureds complete the Online Delaware Defensive Driving 3-Hour Refresher Course. An insured who completes a 3-Hour Delaware Refresher Course within the ninety days prior to the three year expiration date of his or her initial Delaware Defensive Driving Course shall receive a 15% discount effective the next renewal date. An insured who completes the refresher course after the expiration of the three year period shall lose the 10% or 15% discount on the expiration date, but shall receive the 15% discount effective on the date of completion of the refresher course, if said completion is within two years of the expiration date.
- 3-Point Credit - The Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles may consider the satisfactory completion of the Online Delaware Defensive Driving Course as a 3-point credit when determining driver penalties. This credit is at the discretion of the Division and may vary from case to case.