How to Get a Tattoo License
Beginning in 2013, the State of Florida is requiring all tattoo artists and tattoo establishments to have a license. The licensing is being managed by the Florida Department of Health (FDOH), and you must be 18 or older to apply. Below are the requirements for becoming licensed.
- Successfully complete the online tattoo certification - Any applicant for a Florida tattoo license must complete an education course that meets the requirements set by the FDOH. This education course covers bloodborne pathogens and communicable diseases relevant to the tattoo industry and the standards for operating a tattoo establishment set forth in Chapter 64E-28 of the Florida Administrative Code
- Show proof of completion (for guest tattoo artists) - Tattoo artists who have a license from a different state still must register with the FDOH, even if only to work in Florida temporarily. As part of this registration, a guest tattoo artist must provide proof they have completed a state-approved education course on health matters relating to the tattoo industry. An out-of-state course may satisfy this requirement, but you will have to check with the FDOH to be sure. Otherwise, you will need to complete a new one that is approved by the FDOH. You will not need to complete the full licensing process, but you will need to keep the proof of completion of the education course.
- Submit your license application - There are several items required to apply for a license with the FDOH.
- Certificate of completion of a tattoo education course
- Copy of a government-issued photo ID
- $60 for the application fee (if your license is expired, it is a $25 reactivation fee)
Guest Tattoo Artists
Guest tattoo artists need to register with the state of Florida and meet the following requirements:
- Have completed a bloodborne pathogens and communicable diseases course that is approved by the Department of Health and passed with at least a 70%
- Complete an application for guest tattoo artist registration
- Submit $35 fee and government issued photo i.d. with date of birth to prove you are at least 18 years of age.
- Submit proof of active tattoo license/certification outside state of Florida
You can check myfloridaeh.com for updated record information.
Application for Tattoo Establishment License
Application for Tattoo Artist License
Application for Guest Tattoo Artist Registration